Welcome to Laurie’s Big Blog – March 2021

Every month we will identify the 6 most commonly asked questions about ectopic pregnancy and answer them. If you have any further questions which you cannot find answers to on the website, please can you contact us. 

Where can I go to ask for help if I am concerned about ectopic pregnancy?

If you have concerns that you may have an ectopic pregnancy, you should seek medical advice without delay as an ectopic pregnancy is a medical emergency which can be fatal.

You should contact your General Practitioner or the Early Pregnancy Unit which is present in most hospitals. If this is not possible, you could try calling 111 or attending the Accident and Emergency department of your local hospital. See the For Patients section for information on what to do if you suspect you have an ectopic pregnancy.

Is ectopic pregnancy more common in developing countries?

Although with the use of Transversal Scanning and Serial B HCG Measurement and the easier access to medical care this could increase the number of cases diagnosed, there is no strong evidence that ectopic pregnancy is significantly more common in developing countries.

How can I prevent an ectopic pregnancy?

One of the only ways to reduce the risk of ectopic pregnancy is to minimise your risk of sexually transmitted disease, particularly Chlamydia. Chlamydia infection is a significant cause of Fallopian tube damage leading to the increased risk of ectopic pregnancy. Should you consider that you are at risk you could attend your local sexual heath clinic for screening and encourage your partner(s) to also have screening. See the Chlamydia page for more information.

I am in the UK, can I be treated by the NHS for an ectopic pregnancy?

Ectopic pregnancy is a medical emergency and as such would be treated by the National Health Service (NHS) – see the Ectopic Pregnancy Symptoms and Signs page for more information.

Who is the best person to talk to about ectopic pregnancy?

If you are concerned that you may have an ectopic pregnancy you should seek medical advise without delay (see blog answer 1 above).

If you are worried about developing an ectopic pregnancy you should consider sexual health screening (see blog question 3).

If you are concerned about the psychological impact of an ectopic pregnancy you contact your General Practitioner and possibly be referred for counselling.

Sharing your experiences with others maybe helpful and this could be done by contacting the Ectopic Pregnancy Foundation.

Also see the Psychological Impact on an Ectopic Pregnancy page for more information.

Is ectopic pregnancy more common in women who have had a miscarriage?

Both miscarriage and ectopic pregnancy are sadly common conditions of early pregnancy. The miscarriage rate in the United Kingdom is thought to be up to 15 percent, and 1 in 80 pregnancies are Ectopic. However there is no conclusive evidence that these two conditions are related.